There are two types of problems that cause the misfunction of the Home button on iPhones: software problems and hardware problems.
If you have software problems, try the following solutions one at a time. After trying each method, test the Home button, and if it still doesn’t work, move on to the next one.
- Try to restart your phone.
- Try to reset the network settings. If you are not sure how to do it, read this article.
- Try to restore your phone.
- Try hard reset. It will wipe out all your data. If you are not sure how to do it, this article will help you.
Before doing a hard reset, create a full back up on your laptop or flash drive. Follow this article to create a backup.
Before moving to this section, test the software first. Hardware problems are can be caused by water damage or wear and tear over the time. Most of the time, these require home button replacement. If you have AppleCare, we recommend taking your phone to Apple for diagnostics and repair. If you do not have Apple care, you can always visit one of our locations and our trained technicians will diagnose it for free.
Temporary quick fix
However, there is a temporary solution while you get your phone looked at by a repair shop technician or your tech friend. You still can use your iPhone without proper functioning of the Home button with Apple’s AssistiveTouch feature. To enable it, follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Turn your phone off, turn it on, and enter your pin. It will unlock your device.
- Step 2: Go to Settings – General – Accessibility – AssistiveTouch.
- Step 3: Turn the switch on – the AssistiveTouch button should appear.
While you on the Assistive Touch menu, you can customize the button behaviors by binding Single Tap, Double Tap, and Long Press behaviors to certain buttons. Just remember which behavior mimics the press of the Home button. Since iPhone home button malfunction is a common problem, AssistiveTouch is a very useful feature that you can use until you get your home button fixed.